BORN: 1957 Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
RESIDES - Toronto, Canada
EDUCATION: Fine Arts, Georgian College, Ontario, Canada
The Instituto, San Miguel De Allende , Mexico
Two years creating works in Paris, London, Ireland, Morocco
Coburn’s been a professional artist for over 35 years. If his work looks familiar it’s because it’s everywhere. He can often be spotted drawing or painting on location - both exhibiting and expressing his passion for New York, Paris, Toronto & Tokyo.
• The Mayor of NYC exhibited Coburn’s work as part of a group exhibition titled : Catalyst: Art and Social Justice, at Gracie Mansion, The home of the Mayor and First Lady of New York City.
• He has 27 original pen & ink drawings in the permanent collection of the National September 11, Memorial & Museum in New York City.
• In 2021 Coburn exhibited in a group exhibition at the Silvermine Arts Centre, New Canaan, CT
• The Canadian Consulate, NYC as well as Sciame Construction, Wall Street, NY have hosted Coburn’s works, in 2011 & 2015
• Additional works include: Macy’s Commercial, Britain’s GQ magazine, New Yorker exhibitions, NHL, DIOR, 5 published books about NYC, 20 murals for 2nd Cup Coffee Co. Art created for Britain’s Pop Star Robbie Williams, TD BANK, Cadillac Fairview, The Wall Street Journal, The Globe & Mail, Toronto.
• Beckett Fine Art, Hamilton, Canada
• Gagne Contemporary, New York & Toronto
• Sybil Frank Gallery, Prince Edward County Canada
• Takanawa Gallery, Tokyo, Japan
In no particular order, I’m street obsessive.
I’m happiest working “ Plein air “
The intensity x immediacy of setting up my portable studio smack down on any given street or Avenue, whether New York, Paris, Toronto, or Tokyo, infuses me with the spontaneity I crave creating emotionally charged art.”
With hundreds of people flowing by that visceral thriving connection to strangers and excited viewers ignites my work.
People stop and express their relationship and history of the subject I’m drawing, their thrill and anticipation directly influence my work.
Elements of music, fashion, and architecture skewer my palette, showing up in color, typography, and radical surprises encountered in the city - my ensuite of dreams. “